Sunday, May 22, 2011

Missing Post from May 13th when Blogger was down for the count

Mama Can Dance

Just another WordPress.com site

On Change

Today was a no school day, so our son climbed into bed with us this morning as we were watching the news. He commented on a commercial stating a product’s price of $9.99 and he asked me this:

If something cost $9.99 and I had $10.00, would I really want the penny for change? Absolutely I told him! I started to go into the whole “a penny saved is a penny earned” scenario and how all those pennies can add up to something eventually. I told him how I once went to a coffee shop and the cashier, a very young lady, rang up my purchase of $3.95. She gave me back a dollar and I just stood there dumbfounded for a minute. I asked her for my nickel and she said, and I kid you not, “You mean, you really want your nickel? What can you do with a nickel?” True – not much, but I said “Doesn’t really matter what I want to do with it, but it does matter that I get to choose to do something with it because it is MY nickel, is it not?” She had that air of ‘whatever’ about her and I’m sure she thought I was a cheap old lady – okay cheap middle-aged lady, but the point is it was my change and not hers. I was going to give a tip – even though I came up to the counter, paid and waited there to pick up my drink. Frankly, I’ve always wondered why that warranted a tip, but I was planning to up until she acted like five cents wasn’t worth giving to me and I realized she didn’t have an appreciation for money – specifically my money – so why waste it on her?

Change – asked for, or not – embrace it, gather it and build upon it. You never know what you might be able to do with it.

Tonight, as I was about to write this post after watching Tangled with the family, I discovered that Blogger was out of commission. I panicked for a moment, then went to the Google group for the blogathon and read how others were handling the ‘outage’. A few days ago I was still trying to figure out how to read, use and post on the discussion threads and bit by bit I’ve figured it out – things are starting to add up!

I thought about writing my post and then waiting to see if Blogger came back up, but it was suggested it might be a good time to try WordPress. Embracing change – even when it is thrust upon me (it’s always worth something, right?), I forged ahead, or more appropriately WordPress(ed) on!

Later, the son was flipping a penny and asking me to call heads or tails. We played this for a while and he started to just set the penny down on my nightstand. He stopped and instead headed for his bedroom. He dropped the penny in his piggy bank. The kid has a few cents, and immeasurable sense.

Cha ching! Motto: Little changes, over time, add up to something greater.

Here I come WordPress – here I come. Change is good.

1 comment:

Jessica Thomas said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. It's good to "meet" you. :)

That's really rude that she didn't want to give you the 5 cents. What's she doing, pocketing them? Because, I'm guessing her drawer has to balance at the end of the day.